Lithuanian Foundation Scholarship Program
The 2017-2018 academic year scholarship application process has ended. The applications for the 2018-2019 academic year will be accepted August 1 – October 1, 2018.
Please review the following information before completing the LF Scholarship application below.
The Lithuanian Foundation believes that students who are active in their community are developing leadership skills that will benefit them and those around them in the future. The Foundation concentrates its resources on those students who have demonstrated an involvement and volunteerism in the Lithuanian community or in the community at large. As such, the Lithuanian Foundation strives to ensure the continuity of the Lithuanian culture and traditions by contributing to the development of future leaders in the Lithuanian community.
The Lithuanian Foundation is an émigré organization. As such, priorities are given to students studying outside the borders of Lithuania. LF members have established donor directed funds to support various areas of study, and in some cases, particular fields of studies within Lithuania proper. You can familiarize yourself with donor directed funds and their supported areas here.
According to LF Grants Commission guidelines, Lithuanian Foundation supports only full-time students of Lithuanian heritage, pursuing undergraduate and graduate degrees based on the following priorities:
- US citizens and US permanent residents (“green card” holders) pursuing undergraduate and graduate degrees.
- Students from Lithuania pursuing Master’s, or Doctoral degree in Lithuania;
- Students from Lithuania, pursuing Master’s, or Doctoral degree in the US (with a student visa) or elsewhere abroad;
- By exception only, students from Lithuania seeking a Bachelor’s degree in Lithuania meeting donor directed fund designations.
(Special attention is given to the applications from students, studying or doing research in Lithuanian linguistics, literature, and folklore or Lithuanian history).
The Lithuanian Foundation grants scholarships (up to $5,000) for one academic year at a time. Applicants will need to submit applications each academic year in their degree program.
The Foundation will not consider the scholarship requests if:
- The student is not of Lithuanian heritage;
- The applicant is enrolled in a part-time course of study.
- The student is enrolled in associate or certificate program.
- The student is not yet accepted by an accredited college, university or other academic institution;
- The applicant does not have a citizenship or appropriate visa for the country in which he wishes to study;
- The student from Lithuania enrolled in a Bachelor‘s degree program in the US (with student visa) or other foreign country.
- The scholarship application is not fully completed
All requested documentation submitted by the application deadline will be reviewed by the Scholarship Sub-commission, which might also request supplementary documentation during the review process. The Scholarship Sub-commission meets and deliberates final recommendations for scholarships which are then presented to the Grants Commission during its allocation meeting.
Approval of Scholarships
The Grants Commission presents all scholarship and project grant recommendations to the Lithuanian Foundation Board of Directors, which has final approval of each allocation.
An applicant should expect notification of whether a scholarship has been granted by email by January 2019 (not earlier than December 5th, 2018). Scholarships checks will be sent in January 2019. The check for those who study in the US will be issued in the name of the academic institution and sent directly to the university, while for those who study in Lithuania and other countries – personally to the recipient.
The Foundation can only fund a fraction of the requests that are reviewed. In some cases, excellent applicants cannot be funded because of funding limitations. A denial of a scholarship is not to be seen as a reflection on the quality of the applicant.
How to Apply
The Foundation uses an electronic application process that requires that all supplementary documentation be attached to the application before the application can be submitted. Supplementary documentation might be in Lithuanian or English. Translations must be presented to documents in other languages. Completion of the application form in Lithuanian is preferred, though not required.
As there is only one scholarship allocation period each year, additional funding will not be available until new applications are accepted in 2019.
In order to remove the application from “draft” status, applicants will have to click “submit”. If any of the required documentation is missing, the submission will not go through. Applicants should, therefore, begin collecting required documentation as soon as possible. If technical difficulties interfere with attachment of a document, the Foundation must be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 28, 2018 for an exception. Without an exception letter from the Foundation office, the application will be considered late and not will be deliberated.
Recommended Steps, Required Documentation
Please review the information above, before selecting the LF Scholarship Application link below. Register as a scholarship applicant using this link. Only those who are registered on this site will receive any special notices by email. 2018 Scholarship Application will be available August 1, 2018.
Request/obtain all other required documentation in time to be attached to the application by the midnight of October 1, 2018. You will need to attach:
- A photograph;
- Documentation of citizenship ( passport, Permanent Resident Card, copies of your birth certificate or other) ;
- Non-citizen applicants wishing to study in the US or any other country must attach a copy of a valid student visa signed by the student. Applicants wishing to study in the US must present a copy of US student visa (e.g. F-1) and a copy of I-20 form issued by your university. Both copies have to be signed by the student;
- Latest official transcript showing current GPA. A transcript stamped “issued to student” is acceptable, but a print out from the internet is not. First semester university students may provide a copy of a High School Transcript;
- “Official Enrollment Verification Certificate” (in the US, or its equivalent in other countries) from the academic institution that would verify student’s full time status for 2018 – 2019 school year. “Acceptance letter” or class schedule print out IS NOT acceptable;
- Two recommendations: At least one recommendation from a professor/teacher at your current school. If the professor objects and wants to mail the recommendation directly to the Foundation, the office will attach the recommendation to your application. The second recommendation can be from a leader of an organization in which you are actively involved. Recommendations from family and friends are not acceptable. ATTENTION: Both recommendations have to be written not earlier than in 2018. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that recommendations are received on time. Thus, we strongly recommend asking for recommendations as early as possible. Without them your application will be incomplete, and it may not be processed for review;
- Downloaded and completed form: “LF MOKSLAS IR VEIKLA / EDUCATION AND ACTIVITIES”;
- Downloaded and completed form: “LF STIPENDIJU FINANSAI / FINANCIALS” ;
- Copy of the financial aid award letter from the academic institution you will be attending, showing expected scholarships, financial aid and student’s portion of the tuition, even if the letter indicates no aid will be forthcoming. A generic statement of tuition costs from the internet is not acceptable;
- Copy of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), GAPSFAS (Graduate And Professional School Financial Aid Service) or other financial aid application provided to the academic institution.
Applicants who completed on line applications in 2017 (or earlier) can log on using the same user name and password and print the packet to see information from previous years. The packet will be in PDF format. If you have not saved uploaded documents in your computer, you can select portions of the PDF and copy/paste into separate documents. If you sent documents you need for the current application process directly to the Foundation offices, you will not be able to see them.